Monthly Docent Tours: Hart House Collection
The Art Museum looks forward to our guided walking tours of the Collection on display in Hart House when we reopen to the public.
The Hart House Permanent Collection is a major collection of Canadian art developed by the Hart House Art Committee and administered by the Art Museum. Inaugurated in 1922 the Art Committee built the core of the original collection with representative artworks by members of the Group of Seven and their contemporaries.
More recently, the Art Committee expanded its collecting strategy to include a greater diversity of media as well as works by artists of increasingly diverse cultural backgrounds. With its exclusive focus on supporting living Canadian artists through the purchase of their work, today the collection numbers over 650 works of art, including 59 artworks now deemed “National Treasures.” Works from the Hart House Permanent Collection are on view throughout Hart House and are in constant demand for exhibitions at major museums around the world. Currently curated by the staff at the Art Museum at the University of Toronto, selected works from this Collection are displayed in the public spaces and meeting rooms of the House.
Meet at the Hart House Information HUB (7 Hart House Circle)
Image 1: Carol Condé and Karl Beveridge, The Fall of Water, 2006. Digital print. 120 x 167.5 cm. Purchased by the 2011 Hart House Art Committee with the support of the Canada Council for the Arts Acquisition Assistance program.
Image 2: Laurel Woodcock, Skyline, 2013, Neon. Purchased by the Art Committee, 2016.